Saturday, January 19, 2008

That was a looong week.

These weeks with clinicals in them are going to be buggers. I'm pooooped to say the least.

so the pit mom delivered at 10:05 pm that night. 7 lbs 12 oz boy. Ahh....he was a sleepy fella too. Wouldn't nurse till much later the next day.

The section mom didn't nurse after we left. From the limited sign language and slow speaking (Spanish speaking) I gathered from the husband she was upset the baby wasn't getting anything because there wasn't much there. So of course you know this breastfeeding nazi gathered up some spanish pamphlets, the interpreter and marched myself in there. They took the info and next time I went in she was reading the info. There was no new bottle in there, so I was biding my time. A bit later, I had to do vitals on mom and baby, and asked/demonstrated if mom wanted to give it a go. Baby latched RIGHT on and both were content. Score one for the good guys!!! Even if she doesn't go for long, she will still be passing on some amazing gifts to her little girl each time she does nurse her. HOpefully they will continue for a while.

All in all, I was uber impressed with my 2 short days in OB. There were no other deliveries while we were there, so hopefully there will be more chances to witness a vag birth. And who knows, I still have my OR rotation, so perhaps then I will get to see another section.

I have a TON of papers to finish up. OB has the most stuff to do. Plus a test on Tuesday, lab on Tuesday, and videos to watch before that time. Oye. But heck, at least I will have a short break on Wed. and Thursday. Perhaps I can sleep? LOL

3 comments:

Shannon said...

yeah your team for helping a mom out with nursing. Hopefully she was excited to find out that "she worked" after all. So now if she bottle feeds she will feel like it was her choice. Good for you.

Crystal said...

Good work on the breastfeeding assist!

How about we both plan for a nap on Wed??

Tiarnna said...

Thanks for the kudos! I am still excited that I was able to help her and baby out. Even if only for a bit.

Nap on Wednesday. I think I could pull that off with some persuasion....LOL