Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The next chapter

So things got settled in the crabitat, and I just kept up my reading and research. I decided that it would be necessary to buy more shells, since you should have an extra 3-4 shells per crab to choose from. And since I just had one extra shell in there, that I've not noticed in any other pictures of hermit crabs, I decided it was time to shop. I went to two different pet stores in town, and the feed store. None had shells that would be satisfactory for my crabs. So I turned to the internet and found one store that was closing down and had everything marked 50% off. I got lots of shells there and also a bubbler pool to add in there. But after a few days of not hearing back from the owner, I chalked that one up to being gone. Glad I hadn't payed anything for it either!

So I searched other sites and found a site that had great prices and ordered shells and a net, and some more ecoearth. That order was supposed to ship out 24 hours after being placed. The day after I paid for that one.....I heard from place #1. My order was packed and ready and where's the monies. Oye. These crabs really are costing me monies. So I paid it, knowing I was getting a steal on these shells.

Meanwhile, I decided to go back up to the feedstore where I had seen a lonely crab, in an aquarium with no water, 2 empty shells and lots of hermie legs lying around. There wasn't a bit of water in there, and the worker said they always forget they have the crabs in there. OYE. So I brought him home, figuring he'd die within a day or two, because it had been at least 4 days since I first saw him without any water. These guys like about 80% humidity, and that tank was easily at 0. When I bought him, the water dish had water in it, but there was no lid on the tank. Poor guy.

On the drive home, he came out of his shell, and this was the first time I got to see more than the ends of his legs sticking out of his too small shell. My oldest son Kainen didn't have school that day, so he was with me and I asked him what we should call this new crab, and he immediatley dubbed it Mrs. Hermit. LOL Real original I tell ya.

So after I added Mrs. Hermit to the crabitat, she cruised and climbed and was having a grand time. At this point, Mr. Krabs had been buried for a couple of days and Krabby Patty was in hiding in the hermie hut. So Mrs. Hermit had the run of the tank. After a while Krabby Patty came out to investigate, let her know who was boss and then steared clear. Mrs. Hermit parked herself in the food dish, and was in there for a good 4 hours straight, after having already nibbled at the grapes several times. Poor thing was starving! But so friendly, always out and about. Mr. Krabs came up the next day and got to meet Mrs. Hermit. Coulda cared less....but Mrs. Hermit was always after them, climbing on them as they tried to bury themselves or just rest. Must be the toddler of the group. LOL

No comments: