Thursday, October 09, 2008

Yeah, that hurt.

So it was IV start day today. Blah. I made sure to drink as much coffee and as little water as possible just for the fun of it. ;)

But to no avail. I still had to do it. So I left the room for another swig of coffee during partnering up hoping to be odd man out, no luck as there was an even number of us there. Foiled again.

So my partner and I watched the first round. We had practiced on dummy arms and I was successful there, so I hoped that would continue. I decided when our turn came, I'd poke first. And wonder of all wonders I got in on the first try! Sure I tried for a vein up high for my first try, but it worked. So then it was my partners turn. I realized this as I was washing up after my success and my joy was quickly squashed. So on the bed I want. My partners first mistake was sitting next to the instructor who had sufficiently rubbed my nerves the wrong way already. She was very hands on and not letting us just do it. When I did mine, I was on the opposite side of the bed. Not my partner. So, off she goes, looking for veins. Of course, trying to be the hero, starts low, on the back of my hand, and picks a nice round rolling vein. Things continued down hill from there. I had one girl holding my other hand helping me breathe. It really was that bad. I think I have sufficiently explained my distaste for needles in posts pasts. This is why. I had to get stuck again. Uhg. This time was much better and successful at that. But crap oh dear. I don't think I'd volunteer for that again. LOL No bruises which is nice. But its still sore. Both of them. :whine winge moan:

As for me, still pretty pissy these days.

3 comments:

Mandy, The Mother of All Chaos said...

my veins hurt just reading it! YUCK! But WTG for you!

Unknown said...

I'm squirming in my seat just reading about it. Sorry you got stuck twice!!

Tiarnna said...

Thanks! I hope I get to start one in clinicals this week. We'll see. The nurses like to find stuff for us to do. Less work for them. LOL