Wednesday, February 13, 2008

More shots....

Clinicals today were in the clinic next door to the hospital since there were very few patients there. Two of the five of us were sent to hang out there. So more office visits and such. Quite different from the hospital, but I did really enjoy the different things I could sneak in on. For instance, the x-ray room was right by the nurses station, and the tech was a lovely lady who cheerfully welcomed me each time I saw her take a patient back. Got to see a couple chest xrays (these suckers pop up on the computer from the film, which is like a giant disk. So cool.) Then a kid with a hand injury, but neither of us could be sure there was a break. And then....soooo neat, a guy broke up a dog fight and really messed his leg up. He walked in there, and it ends up he has broken his tibia (the smaller of the two bones in the lower leg) at the top , closer to the knee, and its at a 45 degree angle and about 2 inches long and NASTY looking. Combined with some broken bones in his foot, made for a pretty horrified nursing student due to the fact he walked in there. OYE. I hurt for him.

And what goes on in clinics?? Well child checks. And shots. And nurses who happily hand them off to me. Luckily I wasn't around for the second one, but I did do the first little girl. 4 months old and sooo stinkin cute. Red head to boot. Had to give her four shots. Man she was TICKED off and still hollerin out the front door. It was the combo vax that did her in. Luckily I somehow managed to make that the last one. She stopped crying in between the other three. Poor thing. And me being a non-vaxer had to really tune out to the fact I was doing this and what I was giving her.

At the station I was drawing up the meds, there was a little package sitting on the counter and I couldn't tell what it was, so I picked it up and it was a plastibell. I dropped it in fear that they'd ask me to watch. Barf. I've never seen one like that and certainly not in my hand, and was very surprised at how small it was. Which makes sense when you consider how small an infants ween is. :( But I think it was just out for no reason, as I didn't see a little guy come back while I was there. Phew. I have to go back tomorrow and pray there isn't one there. I will have to politely decline AND bite my tongue all at the same time. How's that gonna work?? ;)

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Owie on the broken leg!

It will be interesting to see if you can get through nursing school without having to watch a circ. As I understand it (which well could be wrong) you can opt not to participate in some of the controversial procedures most of the time.