Sunday, April 20, 2008

Meet yer mama cheep cheep!

Well, its been a busy week for me with clincals this week. It was a peds week, so on Tuesday I was at a developmental preschool, and then Wednesday at a pediatricians office.

Chickies were due to the feed store on Wednesday morning.....you can see my dilema.....school....chickies. So, I compromised. Took an hour lunch and got chickies at the store and home to meet mama. Here are the pics I took of that. There were 3 Auracaunas (but the receipt said Australorp, so not sure.....) and 2 Golden Sex Linked (meaning you can tell if they are a boy or a girl at birth by their color, these are all girls).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mama wasn't sure what to think , and the babies sure as heck didn't know what to do, so they sat there and cheeped. She walzted away with her 4 babies clucking, but the new 5 were clueless. So I grabbed them all and shoved them into the coop and shut the door and hoped for the best. I quicky realized the new babies still didn't know what to do, so I opened it up and shoved them all under mama hen. Everyone seemed to stay put. So closed the door, gave some water to the rooster (no one has guessed his name yet....don't forget, mama is Benny) and went back to the clinic.

That night when I got home, I let everyone out and she seemed a bit more attending to the new ones. The golden sex links blended in well, but the black ones weren't. So, back in the coop, under mama they all went, and the roo went too.

The next morning everyone came out and she started pecking at the black ones. So I took them away from her. I was ticked. This was not in my plans. So here are the babies in their new home...in my bathroom.

Photobucket

Then I took everyone out for pics, and sat them next to golf balls for size comparison. LOL

Here is one of the Banty Buff Orps from Benny

Photobucket

Here is one of the Golden Sex Links from the feed store. They are a tad bigger than the others, with a few darker streaks here and there. A couple days older too based on their wing feathers.

Photobucket

And the black one

Photobucket

And then for some scratching time, I took the three orphans to a dirt patch with rolly pollys. It was quite cute and funny. One would grab it, run off and get chased by the other one. I could tell at this point one of the babies wasn't well.....

Photobucket

Shelbie was more than interested, and there were some slobbers on the babies afterwards..LOL

Photobucket

Photobucket

I took them in and fed them some worms from my vermicompost bin. THAT was hillarious. One would grab it, the other would run to it, grab it and a tug of war ensued. Never mind there were two others wriggling away. LOL

Later that night we moved them to the garage because we can't keep girl outta the bathroom and I didn't want her to get them. I realized one wasn't going to make it. I shed a few tears for sure. I felt really bad. It was gone the next morning. =( I had school that day, so off I went.

CAme home to an empty box. I was torked. Someone left the garage door open and the cats got the other two. Argh.

but now, there are three more at my moms house being fostered by her. LOL She got the last four at the feed store, one died on the way home. She's built them a box for outside trips and everything. I wonder if they'll ever come here? LOL

The other 6 out there are growing in wing feathers and so cute. They are scratching around and just a hoot to watch. Highly entertaining for me. =) My mom took her camera home so no new pics. But I'll get some in the next few days.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Lenny? Jerry? heck if I know the rooster's name. Oh oh! How about Stew???? Not funny? Huh... oh well.

Sorry about the lost chickies. Do you get a refund from the feed store? I mean geesh, they should at least last the drive home....

Tiarnna said...

No, no refund. Luck of the draw type thing I figure. Perhaps thats why people buy 25-50 at a time regularly? LOL So loosing some here and there isn't so noticable.

And no, not the roosters name. ;)